w3schools is good place to start learning web technologies before reading any other manual or book. Here I am summarizing the relation among most of XML flavors. I’ll recommend it before starting with w3schools.
In addition of above diagram,
- DTD & XSD both do the same job. But XSD is newer than DTD, in form of XML, and has more datatypes & other options.
- You need not to launch XSLT explicitly to see how your XSL will output finally. XSLT comes with Internet browser. So you just open your XML in browser. It’ll read linked XSL and will display output accordingly.
- XSL-FO can be considered as next version of XSL.
*Editor : I used eclipse for developing all XML flavours.
HTML vs XHTML
XHTML is nothing but XML formatted HTML. You need to follow XML rules nothing else. Like
- proper nesting of tags
- all tags must be closed
- there must be a root tag
- value of an attribute must be enclosed in double quote
- tags name, attributes name and their values must be in low case.
- etc. . .